My
Apologies
To the Mistakes and Challenges
in My Life,
Please forgive me for my negative attitude and assumption
that your very presence in my life is a problem to be overcome. I know you are often pushed to the back and quarantined
in the backrooms of my memories.
I have often wondered how you managed to escape those rooms
to creep up on me. You often appear
suddenly as I drive home from work, or prepare for a presentation. Until today, I thought you were there to
remind me of how stupid, forgetful, uncaring, and uncoordinated I can be. How could I have known that your timing was
intentional and meant to support me in my future endeavours?
Your presence in my life has helped to shape me into a
strong, independent, problem solver who is still able to recognize when help is
needed. You have taught me how to
overcome fear and indecision. I strive
to be better at my profession and to be a better person because of the adversity
you put in my way, and the constant sneak attack reminders you send.
So today, I would like to say thank you. Thank you for the many different forms you
take and the people that carry you into my world. Thank you for the students, parents,
colleagues, family members and friends that present your case and force me to
look again at the person I am becoming.
Thank you for the lessons you have taught me and the guidance you
continue to offer. Thank you most of all
for your persistence, for it is that, that provides the uncertainty and
discomfort that leads to my deepest learning and lasting life changes.
Yours now and always
Judy
Explanation
I
have always thought of myself as a reflective person, but I have often
undervalued the challenges, obstacles and difficult situations in my life. Kathryn Byrnes (2012), in an article entitled
A Portrait of Contemplative
Teaching: Embracing Wholeness, introduced
me to the idea of contemplation. She
describes contemplative teaching as embracing the reciprocal influence of the
outer being on the inner being. It
requires acknowledgement of strengths and weaknesses. Together a whole being is made. Within us, there are strengths and weakness,
courage and fear, and moments of confusion balanced by moments of clarity.
The
apology letter is my first step at acknowledging the weakness within me as
valuable to the whole that is Judy. It
is my first step at embracing vulnerability (Brown, 2010) and applying purpose
to a personal invitation for change within me.
References
Brown, B. (2010). The gifts of Imperfection. Center City, Minnesota, Hazelden.
Byrnes, K. (2012). A portrait of contemplative teaching:
embracing wholeness. Journal of Transformative Education, 10(1),
22-41. DOI: 10.1177/1541344612456431 http://jtd.sagepub.com
No comments:
Post a Comment